Sunday 21 December 2008

Night Terrors

Trying to explain this condition a couple of weeks ago to a friend, I found myself not knowing enough, and not being able to say anything other than "well, i have had them for a long time, I get them sometimes, but I also sleepwalk, and talk in my sleep."
When asked what the cause of my night terrors were, I couldn't answer him... so I decided to look it up online.

While i don't usually cite Wikipedia as a source, I found it to have the simplest explaination..

"A night terror, also known as pavor nocturnus, is a parasomnia disorder characterized by extreme terror and a temporary inability to regain full consciousness. The subject wakes abruptly from slow-wave sleep, with waking usually accompanied by gasping, moaning, or screaming. It is often impossible to fully awaken the person, and after the episode the subject normally settles back to sleep without waking. A night terror can rarely be recalled by the subject. They typically occur during non-rapid eye movement sleep."

I generally don't scream, not that i am aware of, but I have been told I moan loudly.
The thing is about night terrors is that you dont ever remember them. They are basically nightmares that you forget. People said to suffer from night terrors also suffer from anxiety attacks (which I do) and also often sleepwalk, something I also do but very very rarely.

I have not had a full nights sleep since I was 12 and even if I am not having night terrors, I will wake up maybe 7 or 8 times a night, and sometimes will not be able to get back to sleep. Let me use last night as an example of how badly I sleep. Two nightmares that I am aware of (thus not being night terrors), I woke up after one at three am, stayed awake, watched an episode of Psych, and went back to sleep at around four. I then had another nightmare, woke up at 5.30am and didnt get back to sleep till 7am. During the first nightmare, i woke up twice, going straight back to sleep, and only the once during the second.

The weirdest thing about this?

I love sleep more than anything ever. Hahah.

No comments: