Thursday 8 January 2009

Crisis in Gaza

One of the aspects of hardcore that I was most attracted to when I went to my first couple of shows in '97 were that bands had something to say. They were politically minded, knew the wrongs that were happening in the world and weren't afraid to be vocal about it.

Rarely do I meet a hardcore kid these days who I can have a real conversation about politics with.

Rarely do I see bands who have ANYTHING to say onstage other than "straight edge".. "not straight edge".. "fuck shit up".. etc etc etc.

YOU HAVE A MICROPHONE IN YOUR HAND AND A ROOM FULL OF PEOPLE LISTENING TO YOU. Utilize this!

I stated today that if I could sing, I totally would be in a band that talked about important issues.

Please read this:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/article5474016.ece


Its an article by The Times newspaper (unbiased media) about what the Red Cross found when they went into Gaza.

Please note the most important part. There were FOUR CHILDREN SAT NEXT TO THE CORPSES OF THEIR MOTHERS.

All the internet warriors can defend all they like.

What is happening in Gaza is a complete atrocity, and if you do not believe this, you are an awful human being..

The situation has been declared a humanitarian crisis.

Over 600 Palestinians have been killed. Thats 600 people who will have mothers, sisters, fathers, brothers and friends. That is 600 people who will have funerals, 600 people who will be mourned for. Children are included in this number.

All media is being denied the right to report from inside of Gaza since NOVEMBER, when the conflict began but was not reported widely.

But there are pictures from BOTH sides here.. I will post the one that struck me the hardest:

http://cache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/gaza_12_31/g25_17436795.jpg


That is someones husband.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Howdy almost birthday girl!

Protest was really good on Saturday (we left just before all the crap went happened)

Thought you might like to see if you haven't already.. (LowKey) I thought he was awesome - unlike the lady next to me "oh, he likes the sound of his voice.. ooh gosh.. why doesn't he stop.. he sounds so silly" AHHH!! (hoping this is the right link.. can't see YouTube at work)

uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zxdlT71nJ1A