Saturday 21 June 2008

Memories you can hold in your hand.

In August 2004, me and a friend went off to Rome for a week. We had an awesome time, went sightseeing and took hundreds of photos on a camera I had borrowed from my father after mine had been stolen in a club in London.
We ended the trip at Ieperfest in Belgium. To cut a long story short, my bag got stolen and the camera went with the bag. Luckily, my parents were understanding (which reminds me, I need to buy my father a replacement), but I also knew that I had lost all the precious photos that I took.

I spent months on european hardcore messageboards begging whoever had stolen it to return the memory card to me, but was ignored.

The pictures were to be of the last holiday that myself and said friend took together, as we grew apart after that, and it also included pictures of people that I met that I would never see again. I was truly gutted.

A couple of weeks ago, PostSecret linked this website- I Found Your Camera.
A simple but ingenious idea. People find memory cards/cameras, send in the pictures already on the card and hope that the owner/someone that knows the owner will see the picture and contact the holder. There are good people in the world, and this shows it.

If you do find someones camera, by all means, keep the piece of machinary but please, do anything you can to return their memories to them. While I know that my pictures are gone for good, I still return to the site every Thursday to read the success stories.

No comments: