Monday 14 April 2008

BROWN GIRL IN THE RING...

If you are reading this blog, I imagine you know what I look like.

And you should know what Parminder Nagra (pictured below) looks like.. Who is that, I hear you cry? She is the English actress in ER and star of the film "Bend It Like Beckham". The English Actress of Indian descent.

When working as a receptionist, and when I still had black hair, everytime that damn film was shown on tv, I would get the "You know who you look like?" question from patients for a week. I would smile politely, and reply, "no, who?" pretending that I had no idea what was coming..
"OH that actress.. you know.. the one in that film?"
"Bend It Like Beckham?" I would ask, knowing full well that it was the answer.
"YES! THATS IT!" would always be their reply, always accompanied with a satisfied grin.

This happened a couple of times when I was in America as well, but people used the ER connection instead.

While "Thank You," was usually my substandard response, what I actually wanted to say was this:
"Yo. While I am quite flattered about the comparison, as I think the girl is a babe, I look nothing like her. The only similarity between myself and this girls looks are that we both have big eyes, are brown and have black hair. BUT my skin tone is different to hers, my face shape, eye shape, nose shape, in fact everything about my face looks nothing like hers. Like I said, she's a babe, AND she bags all the hot dudes in the show (minus the army medic dude. He wasn't my type), so, you know, awesome. But not all brown girls with english accents look the same.".

I never did though. One day....



On a completely different note, I have been singing "Brown Girl in The Ring" since I was a little kid, as it was a song that was on a Boney M tape that my father used to play to me when I was really young, and it was not till today that I knew where the song came from.

No comments: