Thursday 24 April 2008

Opinions. Have them, fuckers.

This past year, I have had 2 seperate band dudes comment on me saying that their band was terrible online on some messageboard. Not naming names because frankly, it's not worth it, but I found this terribly amusing.

So, at 12am on a Thursday night, I asked some people online that I know that create music a simple question..

"If someone you never met before, went online and a number of times, fuck, every time your band was mentioned, went on about how "awful" you were, when everyone else was going on about how ace you are, would you care? "



I told everyone that answered that I would keep their answers anonymous.

"well if everyone was going on about how ace we were, it wouldn't matter"

This was the general response. Most people said that they wouldn't care..

"not really...i love that shit ha ha..not everyone is gunna like your band"

My theory is that even if someone is saying bad things about your band, at least people are still talking about them.

Im going to use an example. My Children, My Bride. This is a metalcore band from across the water that I wouldn't have even bothered listening to if they weren't the most slated band on a board a lurk last summer. Ok, they weren't good at all, but at least I listened to them.. someone else might have listened to them and loved them.

"cos i write music that I wanna hear, and I give up my all to play it to people for very little/no reward! so how could you not be a little miffed if someone just wrote off something you put your everything to in just one measly internet sentence"

This was one of the more negative responses. I see where he is coming from which is why I generally usually say "they aren't my thing". Not every band that fall under this catagory are bad bands. With some bands, the fact that they are good musicians, that they have good songs, can be seen, but is not necessarily the band that I would want to listen to when I'm walking home from work. They really are just not my thing. Doesn't mean that I wouldn't go watch them.

"I think as you mature as individuals and as a band you give less of a fuck about what other people think"

That was the only quote I could end with. I am a nobody. It shouldn't matter what I think. Because I say that I don't like your band doesn't mean I'm shittalking. It means what it says. I don't like your band. Its an opinion which all of us are entitled to, and along with the shit that comes along with the internet, it means that more of us can state it, BOTH positive and negative.

Don't mistake someone stating their opinion as shit talking. Shittalking is when someone saying "I don't like that band because their singer is a dickhead"... when something personal is said about an individual.

Not when someone says "I love this band on record but think they suck live".

1 comment:

IH8YH said...

very good posting!
i totally hate it when you say "i don't like band xyz" and the members of said band take it personal and act as if you said they were assholes themselves. grow the fuck up.